When it comes to sales and Social Media, I’ve learned that many professionals just want to skip the part about developing their professional story.
I have to admit, I’m a bit perplexed as to why people still aren’t convinced that your digital footprint or your online first impression should be the FIRST place you start.
Let me ask you: What’s the first thing YOU do when you’re vetting a new vendor, product or service?
Like me, you probably Google the person (or the company) to see:
- Do I trust this person, product, service or company?
- Will this professional or product be able to help me solve my problems?
- What do other people have to say about them?
So if YOU are Googling people and products before purchase, don’t you think your prospects are doing the same thing when it comes to YOUR profile?
LinkedIn is one of the highest ranked sites when someone Googles your name. (Don’t believe me? Try it!)
When creating your profile you have to ensure you’re writing for the reader.
- What are their problems, pain points or challenges? Can you mirror that you understand what they need and how you can help?
- Have you outlined your core competencies and/or the unique value you bring to the table?
- Is your profile up-to-date with the latest accomplishments and/or accolades?
- Do you have testimonials/recommendations listed? (Ideally former clients are the best social proof, but any kind of character reference will do).
Forrester Research says it takes 11.4 times for someone to see your brand before they begin to recognize/resonate with it. I’ve seen statistics that say you need up to 20 touchpoints before you convert a client.
People are looking at your profile every day. If you don’t have an up-to-date profile, you’re missing out on opportunities.
I heard a quote recently that said “when you’re inside the bottle, you cannot see the label”, which means you often don’t see yourself the way that others see you.
If you need some help optimizing your profile and telling your story, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote and scope of services.
Leslie Hughes is a LinkedIn Optimization Specialist, Professor of Social Media, Corporate Trainer, Principal of PUNCH!media and author of “CREATE. CONNECT. CONVERT”
Leslie was called a “Social Media Guru” by CBC Radio and was featured on CTV’s “The Social” discussing how to manage your digital identity. Leslie has been working in digital marketing since 1997 and founded PUNCH!media in 2009.
PUNCH!media clients include Investment Planning Counsel, Guardian Life Insurance Company of America and TVO.
PUNCH!media’s goal is to empower through education and help executives gain confidence in their online presence so you convert higher-paying clients.