That’s the number, according to Forrester Research that is the average pieces of content your customers see before they make a purchase.
(The rule of thumb was usually 8-10 times but Forrester has a more specific number).
So how can you use LinkedIn to guide your prospects through the sales funnel?
- Make sure your LinkedIn Summary is well-written and is fascinating to your target audience. Frame it like an elevator pitch + your brand story
- Ask for a mutual connection to introduce you (turn that cold call into a warm introduction)
- Personalize EACH LinkedIn connection request
- Reply to new connections with a “Great to connect with you here on LinkedIn. I’d love to know more about your business. Can we set up a time to chat”
- Post relevant content for your prospective clients
- Send them an article you think they might find interesting
- Comment and/or share their status updates/posts
- Introduce them to other people in your network that they would find beneficial (perhaps they can do business together)
- Join relevant groups and jump into conversations with them
- Follow & engage with them on Twitter or Instagram
- Invest in LinkedIn ads that are specific to your target audience (non interruptive “native” advertising works best)
- If you it’s relevant – click “endorse” on specific skills that your prospect qualifies for
- Follow up in a month with another piece of content that would help their “pain points”
- Connect with multiple decision makers at the same company and nurture those relationships too!
Of course, all this has to be natural. It can’t be forced and you don’t want to seem creepy. You have to genuinely WANT to help them.
Continue to nurture those relationships even after they’ve become clients. You can ask for referrals and testimonials if they think you’re a rock star!!
If you liked this tip, be sure to share it with your colleagues. And if you haven’t already signed up to the PUNCH!media newsletter, sign up to receive weekly tips on LinkedIn and other Social Media channels.
Leslie Hughes is a LinkedIn Optimization Specialist, Professor of Social Media, Corporate Trainer and Principal of PUNCH!media
Leslie was called a “Social Media Guru” by CBC Radio and was a guest on CTV’s “The Social”. She has been working in digital marketing since 1997 and founded PUNCH!media in 2009. PUNCH!media clients include The Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada, Guardian Life Insurance Company of America and TVO.
PUNCH!media’s goal is to empower through education and help executives gain confidence in their online presence so you convert higher-paying clients.